Our Practice Areas

Dela Cruz Legal Services is proud to provide legal representation for matters within the scope of practice of a paralegal.  Our firm assists clients with matters throughout York, Simcoe County and surrounding areas. 

We currently provide legal representation in the following areas:

Small Claims Court

If your claim is for $35,000 or less we can represent you in Small Claims Court.

We offer a wide range of Small Claims Court services including preparing of Claims, Defenses, Motion materials, as well as in court attendances for settlement conferences and trials. We will work with you to provide a positive and tailored to your needs approach to the Small Claims Court process.


We will meet with you to discuss the issue you are having and then prepare, file and serve all necessary documents. We will then attend a settlement conference with you in the hopes of settling your case. If a settlement cannot be reached we will prepare for and attend trial.


If you have you been served with a Small Claims Court action, You would need to file a defense. Being sued in Small Claims Court is no laughing matter. The consequences may result in a judgment against you for up to $35,000.00, plus costs.

In Ontario, you only have 20 days to file a Defence after being served with a claim.

We have experience in defending clients against legal actions, and can also bring thorough counterclaims to combat frivolous and vexatious actions by the Plaintiff. Let us tell your side of the story.

Don’t try to navigate the complexities of the Small Claims Court alone. When you want the peace of mind that comes with a thorough and affordable defence.

Landlord – Tenant Board

Dela Cruz Legal Services is proud to provide legal services to clients who are having an issue with either their landlord or their tenant.

We prepare and serve all necessary forms required to address your issue, follow up after any deadlines and, if necessary, represent you before the Landlord and Tenant Board.


  • Applications for eviction due to rent arrears, non-payment of rent and persistently late rent payments;
  • Collection of owed rent payments;
  • N12 evictions for landlord or purchaser occupation;
  • N13 evictions for extensive renovations;
  • Rent increase, and applications for above-guideline rent increase;
  • Applications for eviction due to damage, interference, harassment, illegal acts, and overcrowding;
  • Applications for eviction for owner occupation (or family of owner);
  • Evicting a tenant for purchaser occupation (in real estate situations);
  • Tenant refusing entry for any reason (including real estate tours);
  • Tenant changing locks;
  • Unauthorized sublet or assignment;
  • Voluntary termination of the tenancy (Cash for Keys);
  • Review of an order by the LTB;
  • and many other situations facing landlords.


  • Defence against eviction for any reason;
  • Defence against illegal rent increases;
  • Defence against illegal lease provisions and charges;
  • “No Pets” clauses;
  • Landlord restrictions on visitors;
  • Lease agreements not using the Ontario Standard Lease
  • Landlords charging more for a spouse, partner or child;
  • Landlord harassment;
  • Landlord not maintaining the outdoor and common areas;
  • Landlord failure to maintain and repair the rental unit;
  • Landlord failure to maintain, repair and replace appliances;
  • Infestation of pests, rats, insects, etc;
  • Subletting and assignment of the lease;
  • Ending the tenancy early;
  • Harassment, interference, abuse and improper conduct by the landlord;
  • and many more situations.

Immigration Help

As Paralegals we are able to represent you before the Immigration Appeal Division, of Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.

Paralegals are only authorized to provide immigration legal services that relate directly to advocacy before the Immigration and Refugee Board.

Immigration Refugee Board

  • appeals involving immigration-related matters, 
  • appeals involving sponsorships issues, 
  • appeals involving removal orders, and 
  • appeals involving residency obligation issues. 

Document Commissioning and Notarizing

Our services include the notarization and certification of documents. A notary public has all the powers of a Commissioner of Oath, and can also verify that signatures, marks and copies of documents are true or genuine. 

We provide a complete suite of convenient and cost-effective notarial services. Whether you need affidavits, certified true copies, notary public and the commissioner of oaths, letters of invitation, marriage abroad, and consent to travel documents. You can contact us for same-day service.

Notarial and Other Documents

  • Affidavits
  • Certified True Copy
  • Sworn Declarations
  • Statutory Declaration
  • Common Law Declaration
  • Custodian Declaration
  • Consent to Travel
  • Invitation Letters
  • Single Status Certificate
  • Professional Accreditation Applications


We help our clients deal with practical day-to-day issues relating to workplace safety and insurance including:

  • representation before the WSIB and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal
  • accident investigation and reporting
  • return of injured employees to work
  • employee absences and the accommodation of disabilities in the workplace
  • advice on the legal rights and responsibilities of employers and workers
  • re-employment and duty to cooperate penalties
  • the return to clients of interest owing on over-assessments
  • prosecutions under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997
  • penalty assessments


The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) is the workplace compensation board for provincially regulated workplaces in Ontario. As an agency of the Ontario government, the WSIB operates “at arm’s length” from the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development and is solely funded by employer premiums, administration fees, and investment revenue. The WSIB is one of the largest compensation boards in North America[1] and is primarily responsible for administering and enforcing the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA).


    The WSIAT is the final level of appeal in the Ontario workplace safety and insurance appeals system. The WSIAT is separate and independent from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). The WSIAT is in a different building and does not share space or staff with the WSIB.

    The WSIAT is a provincial agency that is associated with but independent of the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.

    The WSIAT decides cases under four acts. The date of the accident determines which act applies in a case.

    Most cases are decided under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 (WSIA), which applies to Ontario workers who are injured in the course of their employment on or after January 1, 1998.

    The WSIA replaced the Workers’ Compensation Act, which is also called the “pre-1997 Act”. The pre-1997 Act, as amended by the WSIA, continues to apply to workers who were injured in the course of their employment before January 1, 1998. The “pre-1985” and “pre-1989” Workers’ Compensation Acts also continue to apply to certain cases decided by the WSIAT depending on the date that a worker was injured.


    Administrative law is the body of rules and principles that regulate how administrative agencies, boards, and commissions that administer and enforce laws must behave when carrying out their statutory powers. The Ontario Parole and Earned Release Board and Ontario’s Social Benefits Tribunal are two examples of quasi-judicial tribunals. Paralegals can also represent clients in the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, which resolves claims of discrimination and harassment under the Human Rights Code

    Human Rights Tribunal

    Ontario Social Benefits Tibunal

    Other Tribunal